Home | Future students | VET Student Loans

VET Student Loans

From 1 January 2017 the VET Student Loans program commenced. This program replaces the former VET FEE-HELP scheme.

Central  Regional TAFE is an authorised provider and is able to offer VET Student Loans for Commonwealth approved Diploma and above courses.

VET Student Loans is

  • a Federal Government loan scheme for approved courses
  • to be used to pay all or part of an eligible student's tuition fees; and
  • not to be used for additional study costs such as accommodation, text books or other incidental fees.

For more information about the scheme please visit the Commonwealth, Department of Education and Training website OR download the VET Student Loans Information Booklet.

View the list of Commonwealth approved courses with loan caps here.

Eligibility requirements

You must meet ALL of the eligibility criteria detailed below.

  • An Australian citizen (there are different additional evidence requirements for those born before 20 August 1986 and those born on or after 20 August 1986)


  • a New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV) holder who meets the long-term residency requirements


  • a permanent humanitarian visa holder.


  • You have not exceeded the FEE-HELP limit.
  • You are enrolled with an approved course provider in an approved Diploma course and have enrolled in accordance with the application requirements.
  • You are studying the approved course primarily at a campus in Australia.
  • You have been assessed by your approved course provider as academically suited to undertake the approved course by either:
  • providing your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
  • providing evidence of successful completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework Certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of instruction is English); OR
  • displaying competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test.
how to apply

To apply for a VET Student Loan you must meet the eligibility criteria and complete the Request for a VET Student Loan electronic Commonwealth Assistance form (eCAF). This electronic form is directly managed by the Commonwealth. You will not be able to complete the eCAF until two business days after your enrolment is confirmed (cooling off period) and must be completed by your first census day. You cannot apply for a VET Student Loan less than two days before your first census day.

A 20 per cent loan fee is applied to loans for fee paying/fee for service students. You will be advised if this applies to your course.

  • You must first enrol with and indicate you wish to access a VET Student Loan. The College will then provide the Commonwealth with your enrolment details, including the nearest applicable census day, through the eCAF system. Your eligibility evidence must be provided before an invitation to apply for a loan will be sent to you.
  • You will then receive an email from the Department inviting you to sign in and complete your loan application. Once signed-in, you will need to verify the pre-populated information and complete the mandatory fields. You can then submit the eCAF.   A copy of your application will be sent to you and your provider.
  • Retrospective access is not available to VET Student Loans for units where the census date has passed.

Students under the age of 18

If you are under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must co-sign the form. Download the fact sheet for more information on parental consent.

However, this is not necessary if you have been assessed by Centrelink as meeting the requirements for receiving the independent rate of Youth Allowance under part 2.11 of the Social Security Act 1991. You will need to provide evidence of this assessment in the form of your Centrelink Income Statement.


More information on completing your eCAF can be found in the eCAF factsheet.

 What happens next
 For the duration of your course you will be mailed the following notices:
  • A Fee Notice will be sent out at least 14 days prior to each census date to notify you of what units are due to pass their census date and the cost that will be applied to your loan.
  • A Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) will be sent out within 28 days of the census date passing. Find out what is on a CAN.
  • Please check all of the details on your Fee Notice and Commonwealth Assistance Notice carefully and notify us in writing - by email or phone within 14 days if the information is incorrect.

To continue to receive a VET Student loan, you must:

  • be an eligible student
  • be studying an approved Diploma course
  • be studying with an approved course provider
  • applied to the government using the approved online form, and
  • confirm your engagement and progression when requested by the Commonwealth.

If you no longer wish to pay your unit fees using a VET Student Loan, you must notify Client Services. If you choose to cancel your VET Student Loan, you must arrange to pay the fees for all units not covered by the VET Student Loan.

It is important that you inform us about changes to your contact details as we will send you important information about your VET Student Loan via your email and postal address.

student Engagement and Progression Requirement 

From 1 July 2017, to continue to access a VET student loan, you must demonstrate to the Department of Education and Training that you are a genuine student, continuing with your studies.

To demonstrate engagement and to continue to receive a loan, you must complete the ‘VET Student Loans— Confirming enrolment and continued course engagement and participation form’ in the eCAF system at least twice each calendar year—around February, June and October—for the duration of your course.

The form asks if you intend to continue studying and accessing a VET student loan, and contains a short survey. This student engagement and progression requirement process is part of the increased protection for students accessing the VET Student Loans program.

  • You will receive an invitation email asking you to complete the Progression Form.
  • You will have 14 days from the date you receive the invitation email to complete the Progression Form.
  • If you do not complete it in time, contact Central Regional TAFE.
  • If you do not confirm your continuing engagement and participation using the Progression Form, you may be ineligible to continue accessing a VET student loan for the rest of your course tuition fees.


Literacy and numeracy assessment

If you cannot provide a copy of your Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education; or a copy of an Australian Qualifications Framework Certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of instruction is English); you will need to attain an 'Exit Level 3' in the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) assessment test in reading and numeracy using a Commonwealth approved testing tool. The College uses the LLN Robot. Find out more about  the ACSF.

If a literacy and numeracy assessment is required you will be advised at your loan interview. Appointments for any required testing using the approved tool  can be made at your interview or by contacting Student Administration at your local campus. 

About the Assessment

  • The assessment has two components: Reading and Numeracy.
  • Consists of thirty questions, 15 for reading and 15 for numeracy. 
  • The format of questions is a mix of point and click; drag and drop; reorder items and text or numerical entry.
  • Marking is done automatically by the tool.
  • 13 out of 15 questions for both reading and numeracy must be answered correctly to be assessed at Level 3 of the ACSF.  This includes one successful questions at level 4.

Assessment Conditions

  • Must be supervised on campus or at an approved location and completed in one sitting.
  • Please bring photo ID with you.
  • Calculators, pencils and paper will be supplied.
  • Mobile devices and the Internet are not permitted to be used.
  • A maximum of one hour will be allocated to complete the assessment, but you may request additional time should the need arise.

What Happens Next

  • Your assessment results will normally be available immediately after your assessment.
  • Your assessment supervisor will advise you of your results.  A copy will also be emailed to you.
  • You will need to obtain an 'Exit Level 3' for both reading and numeracy components to be eligible to apply for a VET Student Loan.
  • Your results will be kept by the College for five years.
course fees and college policies


    Page last updated February 20, 2018