This qualification applies to those working in the maritime industry seeking an Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) certificate of competency in the capacity of:
- Chief engineer on vessels with an inboard engine with propulsion power <750 kW within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ), or
- Second engineer on vessels with an inboard engine with propulsion power <1500 kW within the EEZ, or
- Chief or second engineer on vessels with an outboard engine with unlimited propulsion power within the EEZ, or
- Assistant under direct supervision of a chief engineer, or
- Worker in an engine room of a vessel <80 m long with propulsion power <3000 kW.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
This qualification is in transition, and the course code is subject to change.
Trainees must be finished by 31/1/2023 or transferred into the new qualification MAR30821 when funding is approved.
Upon successful completion you will receive a Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal).
Study options and how to apply
Click on your preferred study option below to get started with your application or enrolment.
Available all year round, 2022
Exmouth - Traineeship
A Traineeship is a full-time employment-based training program usual lasting twelve (12) months or more. Learning is predominantly in the workplace and may be supplemented by training at TAFE. You must have a Training Contract to enrol in a Traineeship Course.
Use our sidebar links on the right to find out more.
|When||Available all year round, 2022|
Please note: Where displayed, fees are only an estimate. Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
- Fees may differ between campus locations due to the difference between elective units in the course study plan or a need to adapt courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for individuals depending on units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning (RPL).
- Fees are payable at the time of enrolment.
- Total fees quoted include tuition fees and resource fees. You may also be required to purchase text books, uniforms or other personal equipment that are not included in this fee estimate.
- For Lower Fees, local skills (half-price) courses please refer to additional eligibility information above.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- Concession rates: If eligible, proof of concession must be presented.
- Concessions and the secondary school age fee cap do not apply to commercial courses (short courses), or Foundation Programs (i.e ESL and General Education).
- Secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old in 2021) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course (tuition) fee chargeable is $420. Additional resource fees and discretionary fees may apply.
- VET Student Loans for eligible courses and fee caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
More information: Visit our fees and payment options page or call us on 1800 672 700
Calculate your estimated fees in the above UNITS AND FEES tab.