Get your lab career exactly where you want it.
This course will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to work as a technical assistant, technician or instrument operator. You will learn about quality control, performance of instrumental and non-instrumental tests, standardisation and the use of solutions.
Although technical officers generally work in a laboratory, they often work closely with personnel in other teams within a section of the workplace. They may liaise with suppliers to troubleshoot product non-conformance at the direction of laboratory supervisors or managers, or gather information on non-conformance and events that may lead to the modification of workplace procedures. They may also demonstrate methods to others and train them to collect samples and conduct basic tests reliably. The work of technical officers involves frequent peak periods and interruptions.
Successful completion can lead to job opportunities in a range of relevant fields including pathology, manufacturing, environmental testing, mining, and biotechnology.
Half price fees apply!
Some things you'll learn:
- How to work according to established procedures in a structured environment
- How to collect and prepare samples and communicate sample requirements to other personnel
- How to conduct a wide range of routine and specialised tests where atypical samples may be involved and the instrumentation used has a wide range of operating variables
- How to define and solve problems where alternatives are not obvious and where investigations and trials may be required and the implications of various solutions considered
This course is right for you if:
- You enjoy working as a part of a team
- You enjoy planning schedules and monitoring resources
- You're comfortable working under the direction and supervision of senior technical staff, laboratory or quality managers, or scientific/medical professionals
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|C Grades in Year 11 WACE General English, and OLNA; or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 11 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate II or Certificate III|
Job opportunities include:
- Air Quality Sampler
- Quarry Aggregates Sampler
- Dairy Food Laboratory Assistant
- Food Laboratory Assistant
- Laboratory Assistant
- Pathology Laboratory
- Food Laboratory Technical Officer
Please note: This list is a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
Study options and how to apply
Click on your preferred study option below to get started with your application or enrolment.
Available all year round, 2022
Geraldton - Self Paced External
Many of our courses offer flexible learning options that provide you with the opportunity to study WHENEVER and WHEREVER suits you. Typically, flexible, and self-paced options are part-time and open for enrolment all year round, allowing you to start, enrol and study continuously.
Once you enrol into your chosen units, you will have six (6) months from the date of your enrolment to complete your study.
|When||Available all year round, 2022|
|How||Self Paced External|
READY TO APPLY?
Use the APPLY NOW box to register and apply for this course. Our Lecturer will assess your application online. You can follow the Register & Apply guide here(opens in a new tab) .
Calculate your estimated fee in the above UNITS AND FEES tab.
Semester 2, 2022
Geraldton - Classroom
|When||Semester 2, 2022|
READY TO APPLY?
Use the APPLY NOW box to register and apply for this course. Our Lecturer will assess your application online. You can follow the Register & Apply guide here.
Calculate your estimated fees in the above UNITS AND FEES tab.