Printing the course overview will compile details for all study options into a single file without units.
If you want to print the units out for one or multiple study options, select the appropriate checkbox.Select at least one option to generate PDF.
Start your career in Community Support with this Skill Set
This Skill Set will give you the basic skills and knowledge required to participate in safe work practices to ensure their own health and safety, and that of others in work environments that involve caring directly for clients, as well as developing the skills required to communicate effectively with others.
Students will also learn how to provide first aid in line with first aid guidelines determined by the Australia Resuscitation Council (ARC) and other Australian national peak clinical bodies.
RTO Entrance Requirements
- Student Eligibility: Individuals aged 18 or over are eligible to undertake this training.
- Students must participate in a pre-enrolment induction with the lecturer (face to face or phone) prior to enrolment.
- Students who decide to enrol must complete the Client Profile and Learning Needs questionnaire. This is to determine the specific needs of the individual learners and to develop support strategies to assist them with their learning. This will be recorded on the Client Needs Summary Form as required.
- It is recommended that all students who decide to enrol complete an LLN assessment. This is to determine the specific LLN level and needs of the individual learners and to develop support strategies to assist them with their learning.
- Students are advised at Pre-enrolment of ‘Physical and Medical Fitness’ requirements as follows: Aged care and disability work can be emotionally and physically challenging and will be very hands on. You will require the level of medical and physical fitness needed to be on your feet for long periods of time, help transfer and position clients and where relevant undertake other physical fitness activities eg. cleaning, moving equipment, transporting clients in wheel chairs, helping clients in and out of vehicles etc.
Industry requires workers to hold a current National Police Certificate from WA Police (or equivalent). This must be obtained prior to commencing work placement (within 3 months). Organisations may also require a current Working With Children Check and Immunisation Declaration.
Aged Care Vaccination Requirements
- All visitors and residential aged care staff (including visiting workers) will not be permitted to enter residential aged care facilities after 1st May 2020 if they have not been vaccinated against influenza.
- From 17 September 2021, COVID-19 vaccination will be mandatory for all residential aged care workers. Residential aged care workers will be required to have received a minimum first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine by this time. It will be a condition of working in a residential aged care facility through shared state, territory and Commonwealth authorities and compliance measures. This is based on advice from the medical experts, the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) and was agreed by the National Cabinet on 28 June 2021.
Upon successful completion of this Skill Set you will obtain a Statement of Attainment.
We offer a range of further study opportunities, view our course list here(opens in a new tab) .
Study options and how to apply
Click on your preferred study option below to get started with your application or enrolment. If you don't see your preferred study option, please complete our Course Enquiry form.