Do you want to start a career at sea?
This qualification is suitable for people who work as a Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal skipper in the maritime industry. This qualification enables graduates to command a commercial marine vessel:
- up to 12 metres in length
- with propulsion power that is unlimited for an outboard engine or up to 100 kW for an inboard engine
- that is not carrying passengers, and to operate this vessel
- in sheltered waters, and
- or as a tender or auxiliary vessel within 3 nautical miles (nm) of a parent vessel within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) or within 3 nm from point of departure, shore base or aquaculture lease.
You will also gain the following skills:
- Handling a vessel less than 12 metres in length
- Applying basic maintenance and environmental knowledge
- Applying safety procedures at sea, and
- Demonstrating seamanship skills.
Successful completion of this qualification will provide you with some of the requirements for certification as a Master up to 24 metres Near Coastal as defined by the National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) Part D. Certification will require achievement of the Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal), qualifying sea service and completed Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) approved task book or qualifying sea service, meeting the medical and eyesight requirements specified in the NSCV Part D and AMSA final assessment; people seeking certification should check with AMSA
- Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal)
- Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal)
- Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Master up to 24 metres Near Coastal)
We offer a range of further study opportunities, view our course list here.
Study options and how to apply
Click on your preferred study option below to get started with your application or enrolment.
Available all year round, 2021
Exmouth - Self Paced Onsite
Many of our courses offer flexible learning options that provide you with the opportunity to study WHENEVER and WHEREVER suits you. Typically, flexible, and self-paced options are part-time and open for enrolment all year round, allowing you to start, enrol and study continuously.
Once you enrol into your chosen units, you will have six (6) months from the date of your enrolment to complete your study.
|When||Available all year round, 2021|
|How||Self Paced Onsite|
Please note: Where displayed, fees are only an estimate. Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
- Fees may differ between campus locations due to the difference between elective units in the course study plan or a need to adapt courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for individuals depending on units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning (RPL).
- Fees are payable at the time of enrolment.
- Total fees quoted include tuition fees and resource fees. You may also be required to purchase text books, uniforms or other personal equipment that are not included in this fee estimate.
- For Lower Fees, local skills (half-price) courses please refer to additional eligibility information above.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- Concession rates: If eligible, proof of concession must be presented.
- Concessions and the secondary school age fee cap do not apply to commercial courses (short courses), or Foundation Programs (i.e ESL and General Education).
- Secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old in 2021) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course (tuition) fee chargeable is $420. Additional resource fees and discretionary fees may apply.
- VET Student Loans for eligible courses and fee caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
More information: Visit our fees and payment options page or call us on 1800 672 700
READY TO APPLY?
Use the APPLY NOW box to register and apply for this course. Our Lecturer will assess your application online. You can follow the Register & Apply guide here.