Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
Get qualified to work in the small vessel sector in commercial workboats, fisheries, fishing, tourism or aquaculture.
This qualification is suitable for people who work as a Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal skipper in the maritime industry.
This qualification enables graduates to command a commercial marine vessel:
- up to 12 metres in length
- with propulsion power that is unlimited for an outboard engine or up to 500 kW for an inboard engine.
Can carry passengers:
- inshore, and
- or as a tender or auxiliary vessel within 3 nautical miles (nm) of a parent vessel within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
You will gain the following skills:
- Navigating a vessel less than 12 metres in length
- Applying basic maintenance and engineering knowledge
- Operating a marine radio
- Applying safety procedures at sea
- Applying basic ships knowledge, and
- Demonstrating nautical knowledge.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
Third Party Provider
Central Regional TAFE engages the services of a third party in the provision of this course. Further details can be provided prior to enrolment.
Job opportunities include:
- General Deckhand
- Senior Deckhand
- Coxswain Grade 1
Please note: This list is a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
- Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal)
- Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Master up to 24 metres Near Coastal)
- Certificate IV in Maritime Operations (Master up to 35 metres Near Coastal)
We offer a range of further study opportunities, view our course list here.
Locations and study options
Click on your preferred location below to get started with your application or enrolment.