Working with big machines will be your everyday reality with a career in Civil Construction.
A career as an operator in the Civil construction industry provides a diverse working environment where no two days are the same. You’ll be required to apply a broad range of skills, and provide theoretical advice and support to a team. As a qualified operator the job opportunities are endless, particularly in the construction and mining industry.
This qualification includes a White Card ticket and WA Main Roads Department accreditation certificate for Basic Worksite Traffic Management & Traffic Control (optional).
As part of your training you will learn how to:
- Carry out measurements and calculations
- Identify, locate and protect underground services
- Carry out manual excavation
- Use hand and power tools
- Operate small plant and equipment
- Conduct civil construction skid steer loader operations
- Conduct civil construction excavator operations
- Conduct roller operations
- Implement traffic management plan
- Control traffic with stop-slow bat
- Prepare to work safely in the construction industry (White Card)
- Drain and dewater civil construction site and more!
Half price fees apply!
This course is half price for everyone (excl. school students) as part of the Lower Fees, Local Skills initiative. Fees are also capped at $1,200; or $400 if you're aged 15—24 or eligible for a concession. Find out more here.
^ You’ll pay half price course fees on Lower fees, Local Skills qualifications, however please note other fees may apply such as for resources that are specifically needed for your course.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
In order to meet Main Roads WA accreditation and licencing requirements, participants must:
- Hold a valid driver's licence, or evidence of previously having held a driver's licence (no learner's permits or moped licences)
- Have literacy and numeracy skills to a level that will allow you to complete the written component of the assessment.
- A formal interview process will take place prior to enrolment with students selected on merit.
- The course will follow Industry expectations with random drug and alcohol testing to take place.
- Student will need to supply their own high-viz clothing and steel cap boots
Upon successful completion you will receive:
- Certificate III in Civil Construction Plant Operations and (if opted)
- Main Roads WA accreditation for Basic Worksite Traffic Management (BWTM) and Traffic Controller (TC)
- WorkSafe Construction White Card
Job opportunities include:
- Plant and Machine Operator
- Construction Worker
- Mobile Plant Operator
For more information about job and career pathways, visit JobOutlook (opens in a new tab) or Jobs and Skills WA
Please note: This list is a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
We offer a range of further study opportunities, view our course list here(opens in a new tab) .
Study options and how to apply
Click on your preferred study option below to get started with your application or enrolment.