Set yourself up for a career on the sea.
This qualification is suitable for people who work in the maritime industry, as Chief Engineer on vessels with propulsion power up to 1500 kW and Second Engineer on vessels with propulsion power up to 3000 kW in the exclusive economic zone (EEZ)
Students will develop the following skills:
- Apply safety procedures
- Apply survival skills at sea
- Operate and maintain electrical systems
- Perform engineering calculations
- Manage fuel systems and refuelling
- Basic welding, brazing, cutting and machining operations
- Operate and maintain internal combustion engines, propulsion plant and auxiliary power systems
Successful completion of this qualification will provide you with some of the requirements for certification as a Marine Engine Driver Grade 1 Near Coastal as defined by the National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) Part D.
Certification will require:
- meeting the medical and eyesight requirements specified in the NSCV Part D and AMSA final assessment,
- qualifying sea service and completed Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) approved task book or qualifying sea service,
- achievement of the Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal),
- meeting additional requirements (as specified by AMSA),
- passing the AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA),
- completing and submitting a certificate of competency application to AMSA.
People seeking certification should check with AMSA
Job opportunities include:
- Chief Engineer (Marine Engine Grade 1 Near Coastal)
Please note: This list is a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
We offer a range of further study opportunities, view our course list here.
Study options and how to apply
Click on your preferred study option below to get started with your application or enrolment.
Available all year round, 2022
Batavia Coast Maritime Institute - Self Paced Onsite
Many of our courses offer flexible learning options that provide you with the opportunity to study WHENEVER and WHEREVER suits you. Typically, flexible, and self-paced options are part-time and open for enrolment all year round, allowing you to start, enrol and study continuously.
Once you enrol into your chosen units, you will have six (6) months from the date of your enrolment to complete your study.
|When||Available all year round, 2022|
|Where||Batavia Coast Maritime Institute|
|How||Self Paced Onsite|
Please note: Where displayed, fees are only an estimate. Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
- Fees may differ between campus locations due to the difference between elective units in the course study plan or a need to adapt courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for individuals depending on units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning (RPL).
- Fees are payable at the time of enrolment.
- Total fees quoted include tuition fees and resource fees. You may also be required to purchase text books, uniforms or other personal equipment that are not included in this fee estimate.
- For Lower Fees, local skills (half-price) courses please refer to additional eligibility information above.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- Concession rates: If eligible, proof of concession must be presented.
- Concessions and the secondary school age fee cap do not apply to commercial courses (short courses), or Foundation Programs (i.e ESL and General Education).
- Secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old in 2021) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course (tuition) fee chargeable is $420. Additional resource fees and discretionary fees may apply.
- VET Student Loans for eligible courses and fee caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
More information: Visit our fees and payment options page or call us on 1800 672 700
READY TO APPLY?
Use the APPLY NOW box to register and apply for this course. Our Lecturer will assess your application online. You can follow the Register & Apply guide here(opens in a new tab) .