Join the transport industry and keep WA moving.
This driver trainer program provides real, hands-on experience with practical hours in heavy haulage. Upon successful completion, you'll be ready to join the transport and logistics industry, which currently has a huge demand for skilled workers.
In this training program you will learn how to:
- follow work health and safety procedures;
- carry out inspection of trailers;
- secure, load and unload cargo of goods;
- apply work fatigue management strategies; and
- use and maintain mechanical equipment.
The driving instruction training component of the program is conducted in a range of conditions and locations, with coaching from qualified and experienced drivers.
Participants will obtain one of the following licenses:
- Heavy Rigid
- Heavy Combination; or
- Multi Combination class vehicle
You may also apply for a forklift (LF) licence
Note: Tuition fees are free for eligible students (see below). Additional resources fees may still apply for this course.
This course includes work placement or live works in a Group 1 or Group 2 industry as outlined in COVID-19 mandatory vaccination policy. For the latest information on vaccine requirements for students visit our COVID-19 update page.
The participant must meet the required license authorisation for their selected vehicle class license as set out below.
Heavy Rigid (HR) Class Licence
Participants must complete all 16 units of competency including TLIC3004 Drive Heavy Rigid Vehicle.
Participants must hold:
- a Car (C) class licence for at least two years, or
- a Light Rigid (LR) class licence for at least one year, or
- a Medium Rigid (MR) class licence for at least one year.
Heavy Combination (HC) Class Licence
Participants must complete all 18 units of competency including TLIC3005 Drive heavy combination vehicle, TLIB2008 Carry out inspection of trailers and TLIF2012 Apply safe procedures when handling/transporting dangerous goods or explosives
Participants must hold:
- a Car (C class) licence for at least three years, and
- a Medium Rigid (MR class) for at least one year, or
- a Heavy Rigid (HR) class licence for at least one year.
Multi Combination (MC) Class Licence
Participants must complete all 18 units of competency including TLIC4006 Drive multi-combination vehicle, TLIB2008 Carry out inspection of trailers and TLIF2012 Apply safe procedures when handling/transporting dangerous goods or explosives
Participants must hold:
- a Car (C) class licence for at least three years, and
- a Heavy Rigid (HR) class licence for at least one year, or
- a Heavy Combination (HC) class licence for at least one year.
Third Party Provider
This trainer program is currently delivered by Driver Risk Management on behalf of Central Regional TAFE.
This driver trainer program is currently delivered at Driver Risk Management, 16 Grogan Road Perth Airport. Regional locations are in development. Please register your interest in attending this training at future Central Regional locations.
How to apply
Complete the enquiry form below and our team will contact you to progress your application.
Job opportunities include:
- Heavy Vehicle Driver
For more information about job and career pathways, visit JobOutlook(opens in a new tab) (opens in a new tab) or Jobs and Skills WA
Please note: This list is a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations
The units in this skill set may lead to the qualifications listed below and other qualifications that allow selection of
Half price courses*:
- Certificate III in Driving Operations (traineeship)
- Certificate III in Harvesting and Haulage
- Certificate II in Warehousing Operations
*As part of the Lower Fees Local Skills initiative. Eligibility requirements apply.
|Fee description||Concession $||Non-Concession $|
|Enrolment Fee (Tuition Fee Relief rate or Fee Free)||$0.00||$761.40|
|Practical Driving Instruction Training and Assessment and licensing||$300||$600|
Fee free eligibility criteria is listed above or visit the Skills Ready page.
*Total fees above do not include Department of Transport fees for the license. Fees for the applicable license type are listed below:
- HR License - $128.90
- HC or MC License - $250.60
This program is funded by JobTrainer - a joint initiative of the Western Australian and Australian governments.
Please note: Where displayed, fees are only an estimate. Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
- Fees may differ between campus locations due to the difference between elective units in the course study plan or a need to adapt courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for individuals depending on units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning (RPL).
- Fees are payable at the time of enrolment.
- Total fees quoted include tuition fees and resource fees. You may also be required to purchase text books, uniforms or other personal equipment that are not included in this fee estimate.
- For Lower Fees, local skills (half-price) courses please refer to additional eligibility information above.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- Concession rates: If eligible, proof of concession must be presented.
- Concessions and the secondary school age fee cap do not apply to commercial courses (short courses), or Foundation Programs (i.e ESL and General Education).
- Secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old in 2021) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course (tuition) fee chargeable is $420. Additional resource fees and discretionary fees may apply.
- VET Student Loans for eligible courses and fee caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
More information: Visit our fees and payment options page or call us on 1800 672 700
Study options and how to apply
Click on your preferred study option below to get started with your application or enrolment.