Join the transport industry and keep WA moving.
This six-week driver trainer program provides real, hands-on experience with practical hours in heavy haulage. Upon successful completion, you'll be ready to join the transport and logistics industry, which currently has a huge demand for skilled workers.
In this training program you will learn how to:
- follow work health and safety procedures;
- carry out inspection of trailers;
- secure, load and unload cargo of goods;
- apply work fatigue management strategies; and
- use and maintain mechanical equipment.
The driving instruction training component of the program is conducted in a range of conditions and locations, with coaching from qualified and experienced drivers.
Participants will obtain one of the following licenses:
- Heavy Rigid
- Heavy Combination; or
- Multi Combination class vehicle
You may also apply for a forklift (LF) licence
Perth metropolitan area from April 2021. Regional locations are in development, register your interest to stay-up-date as new locations are added to the program.
How to apply
Complete the enquiry form below and our team will contact you to progress your application.
Job opportunities include:
- Heavy Vehicle Driver
For more information about job and career pathways, visit JobOutlook(opens in a new tab) (opens in a new tab) or Jobs and Skills WA
Please note: This list is a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations
The units in this skill set may lead to the qualifications listed below and other qualifications that allow selection of
Half price courses*:
- Certificate III in Driving Operations (traineeship)
- Certificate III in Harvesting and Haulage
- Certificate II in Warehousing Operations
*As part of the Lower Fees Local Skills initiative. Eligibility requirements apply.
|Fee description||Concession $||Non-Concession $|
|Enrolment Fee (Tuition Fee Relief rate or Fee Free)||$0.00||$761.40|
|Practical Driving Instruction Training and Assessment and licensing*||$500||$1,250|
Fee free eligibility criteria is list above or visit the Skills Ready page.
* This is 20% for concession student contribution and 50% for non-concession student contribution. Based on estimated maximum cost dependent upon the sub-contracted training provider undertaking this component; individual applicant requirements; and type of heavy vehicle transmission e.g. Auto, Synchromesh, or Road Ranger (industry advice states a current preference for ‘Road Ranger’, which is highest cost). Includes Worksafe high risk work license – forklift cost.
** Does not include Department of Transport associated licensing fees. License fees are subject to change and apply to all participants.
This program is funded by JobTrainer - a joint initiative of the Western Australian and Australian governments.