At Central Regional TAFE, we offer Maritime studies courses that can suit your interests, whether you’re wanting to upskill, break into the industry, or looking to take advantage of world-class training to specialise in a particular area.
There’s so much to learn, and with industry experts providing the latest training, you’ll find that your knowledge and skills will advance by heaps and bounds as you progress through each course that we offer.
If you’re after a career in maritime operations and want to be able to command marine vessels commercially, CR TAFE offers Certificate I to IV in Maritime Operations with flexible delivery options, traineeship opportunities, and comprehensive, face to face delivery, that helps you make the most out of your study.
Training in maritime studies opens up career opportunities such as, but not limited to:
- Quality Manager
- Compliance Manager
- General or Senior Deckhand
- Chief Engineer
- New Technology/Automation Specialist
- Master (of vessels up to 24 metres)
- Ship’s Mate or Master
- Marine Engine Driver Grade 1
Opportunity as far as the eye can see.Be at the cutting edge of a growing industry and watch your future career unfold in front of you. Analyse environmental data and understand the world around you to protect it for generations to come.
Repair environmental impacts at their source.
Businesses are more and more becoming interested in conservation and are prioritising efforts to reduce their impact on the environment there has never been a better time to join this growing industry.
This qualification will provide you with the practical skills and knowledge to collect and analyse environmental samples and process environmental data for the purpose of minimising the impact of human activity on the environment. Students undertake a range of field-based activities including vegetation surveys, geological formation recognition, water and soil sampling and testing and the use of GPS in environmental monitoring applications.
See the world from a different perspective.Kayaking is a great way to keep fit and explore lakes, rivers and oceans. Learn skills to give you confidence, lead others and be safe while on the water.
Learn how to safely kayak and snorkel in this fun and hands-on course.
In this course you will learn the skills and knowledge required to paddle a kayak as part of a group on areas such as lakes, dams and slow moving rivers. This includes safety and the ability to self-rescue from a capsize. This course is suited to leaders, guides, instructors and support staff who may use these skills when leading others in kayaking acclivities.
Topics covered include:
- Snorkeling in confined or open water
- Sea kayaking under supervision
- Plan and prepare a safe boating trip
- Routine maintenance and safety
Tune into an open ocean career.Learn to communicate accurately and efficiently to provide and receive information that can keep others safe while they're on open water on commercial vessels.
Designed to suit individuals seeking Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) Marine Radio Operator’s VHF Certificate of Proficiency.
This Skill Set is aimed at individuals who require proficiency in the use of marine VHF radio and telephone equipment on commercial vessels. You will learn how to transmit and receive information to and from ship to ship and ship to shore.
The Marine Radio Operator’s VHF Skill Set is part of the MAR Maritime Training Package.
Get on board with a qualification for your future.Learn how to navigate a vessel up to 12 metres, operate marine radios, maintain vessels, transport passengers safely and more with this practical course.
Get qualified to work in the small vessel sector in commercial workboats, fisheries, fishing, tourism or aquaculture.
This qualification is suitable for people who work as a Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal skipper in the maritime industry.
This qualification enables graduates to command a commercial marine vessel:
- up to 12 metres in length
- with propulsion power that is unlimited for an outboard engine or up to 500 kW for an inboard engine.
Can carry passengers:
- inshore, and
- or as a tender or auxiliary vessel within 3 nautical miles (nm) of a parent vessel within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
You will gain the following skills:
- Navigating a vessel less than 12 metres in length
- Applying basic maintenance and engineering knowledge
- Operating a marine radio
- Applying safety procedures at sea
- Applying basic ships knowledge, and
- Demonstrating nautical knowledge.
Get above board, below deck.Learn the skills you need to operate an engine room, be safe at sea, refuel, operate deck machinery and more on specific vessels.
Set sail for a rewarding career at sea.
This qualification is suitable for people who work as a Marine Engineers in the maritime industry, as Chief Engineer on vessels with propulsion power up to 750 kW and Second Engineer on vessels with propulsion power up to 1500 kW in the exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
Students will develop the following skills:
- Taking charge of an engine room with a main propulsion of less than 750kW
- Applying safety procedures
- Applying survival skills at sea
- Extinguishing fires
- Refuelling vessels adhering to marine pollution (MARPOL) guidelines
- Performing basic engineering calculations
- Operating and maintaining deck machinery
- Operating and maintaining auxiliary power systems, and
- Operating and maintaining extra low and low voltage electrical systems and equipment.
Know the ropes and launch a boating career today.Ready to operate a bigger vessel? Graduates of this course will have the skills to operate commercial vessels less than 24 metres. Learn to navigate, be safe at sea, operate marina radios and more.
Set sail on a career that could see you going anywhere the ocean takes you.
This qualification is suitable for people who want to work as a Master V Near Coastal skipper in the maritime industry. This course will provide you with the practical skills and knowledge to safely operate a commercial vessel of less than 24 metres in length within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ). You will gain the following skills:
- Applying shipboard safety
- Operating marine radio and radar
- Applying coastal navigation knowledge and passage planning
- Demonstrating ships knowledge including stability and deck loading, and
- Operating a marine vessel less than 24m length.
Be the master of your boating career.Get the skills you need to work and skipper on vessels up to 80 metres in length. Be confident navigating, maneuvering and maintaining a vessel safely plus so much more.
Fancy a life at sea?
This qualification is suitable for people who work as a Master IV Near Coastal skipper in the maritime industry. This qualification is suitable for those sailing as Master on vessels up to 35 metres in length within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) or a Mate on vessels up to 80 metres in length.
You will gain the following skills:
- Handling cargo
- Applying vessel stability knowledge
- Checking and maintaining equipment
- Manoeuvring vessels
- Communicating effectively in a marine environment
- Applying survival skills at sea
- Navigating a safe passage, and
- Applying ship structural knowledge.